Fort James, Plymouth
This fort was named after Jacobus (James), the Duke of Courland. The British army maintained a picket post here which in 1770 was attacked by revolting slaves. A battery manned by the militia was erected on the site in 1777. In 1781 the battery was destroyed by the French who occupied the site until the island was recaptured by the British in 1793. The present fort was erected in the early 1800's . Fort James is the oldest fort site in Tobago.